How Did the International Ladies Garment Workers Union and Chinese Garment Workers Unite to Organize the 1938 National Dollar Stores Strike?

Related Links



The Life Experiences of Chinese Women in the U.S.

The following is a paper presented by Wei Chi Poon, Asian American Studies Librarian of the Ethnic Studies Library, who recently returned from a conference sponsored by the Center for Chinese Minority Women's Studies of Central University for Nationalities in Beijing, China. She was one of a select group of attendees and she was asked to present a paper. She spoke on her experience as a Chinese woman who immigrated to the United States. Among the presenters, approximately 95% were academics and researchers while the other 5% were from various women's organizations. Presented at the International Symposium on Women's Education and Development in the 21st Century October 10 to 14, 1998, Beijing, China

UNITE List of Women Union Leaders

Contains mini-biographies of pioneering women within the unions of the needletrades industries, including Jennie Matyas, founder of the Chinese Ladies' Garment Workers' Union. The UNITE website is dedicated to labor and political issues worldwide.

Book Review - Holding Up More Than Half the Sky: Chinese Women Garment Workers in New York City

This book by Xiaolan Bao narrates the history of the garment industry in New York City and the ILGWU since the nineteenth century. Through assessment of interviews, activist involvement, and living with Chinese women garment workers in New York City, Bao analyzes "the multiple intersecting forces that have shaped the lives and perceptions of Chinese women garment workers in New York City." This book review can be accessed through JSTOR, which is available at most academic libraries. It is in the Journal of American History 89:2 (Sept. 2002), 719-20.

Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco

The website for the Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco. Links include featured exhibitions and a Roots Program, which allows Chinese-Americans to trace his or her ancestry from America back to China.

Chinese Historical Society of America

Based in San Francisco, CHSA provides written and artistic work bearing insight on the culture and history of the Chinese living in America.



back to top